Hermetic Laws are attributed to Hermes Trismegistus (the triple God Hermes) and are believed to be handed down to his initiates. These laws are part of an ancient text combining the laws of physics and metaphysics, known as “The Kybalion”, committed to record by two unknown authors.
Precepts of Hermetic Law
1. The ears of wisdom are closed, except to the ears of understanding.
2. Where fall the footsteps of the master, the ears of those ready for his/her teaching open wide.
3. When the ears of the student are ready to hear, then cometh the lips to fill them with wisdom.
Principles of Hermetic Law
1. The First Law: Principle of Mentalism – “God is Mind, the Universe is Mental”
2. The Second Law: Principle of Correspondence – “As above, so below; as below, so above”
3. The Third Law: Principle of Vibration – “Nothing rests, everything moves, everything vibrates”
4. The Fourth Law: Principle of Polarity – “Everything is dual; everything has poles; everything has its pair of opposites; like and unlike are the same; opposites are identical in nature, but different in degree; extremes meet; all truths are but half-truths; all paradoxes may be reconciled”
5. The Fifth Law: Principle of Rhythm – “Everything flows, out and in; everything has its tides; all things rise and fall; the pendulum-swing manifests in everything; the measure of the swing to the left is the measure of the swing to the right; rhythm compensates”
6. The Sixth Law: Principle of Cause and Effect – “Every Cause has its Effect; every Effect has its Cause; everything happens according to Law; Chance is but a name for Law not recognized; there are many planes of causation, but nothing escapes the Law”
7. The Seventh Law: Principle of Gender – “Gender is in everything; everything has its Feminine and Masculine Principles; Gender manifests on all planes”